Grease Fire Damage to Apartment is Severe

Posted 26 July 2018 by in Featured

Cooking Fires are a leading cause of fires in homes.

Cooking Fires are a leading cause of fires in homes.


THUNDER BAY – At 02:03 am, On July 26, 2018, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Service received an alarm for a structural fire at 1510 Victoria Ave East. An excited caller stated that there was a fire and she could not breathe.

3 Pumpers were dispatched.  The first arriving Crew arrived and found light smoke showing. Sizing up of the scene revealed that a fire did happen and that a tenant of the building had made efforts to extinguish the fire.

The fire was a grease fire in the kitchen and spilled oil had ignited pot of oil used for cooking.

Tenant used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out and then transported the hot pot of oil outside.

The fire was contained to the kitchen area, with a large amount of damage. Two occupants were displaced from the apartment.

Thunder Bay Fire Service recommends not to remove a pot of hot oil from a stove, personal injuries are highly possible.